Outline (M.Sc. Applied Microbiology)
- Microbiology is an upper level course, aimed for biology majors who want to expand their knowledge of the microscopic world. The major themes are classification, uses of microorganisms and microorganism in disease.
- Microbiology is an integral part of many different scientific studies, such as clinical, immunology, genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, medicine, agriculture, ecology, industrial processes and many more.
- Microorganisms are minute living things that are individually too small to be seen with the naked eye. The term includes bacteria, microscopic fungi (yeasts and molds), protozoans, microscopic algae, prions and viruses. Microorganisms can be associated with many diseases, infections and inconveniences such as AIDS, pimples, and spoiled food. However, the majority of microorganisms make vital contributions to the world's inhabitants. They maintain the balance of chemicals and living organisms in the global environment. For example, the algae and cyanobacteria found in the oceans and waters of the globe are the major source of oxygen for living things. In many places microorganisms are the basis for the food chain. They help to recycle chemical elements in the land and water. Microorganisms also have been used for commercial benefits. Cultured microorganisms can be used to synthesize products more cheaply than they can be manufactured by other means (biotechnology). Microorganisms have also been used to produce products that have "always" been a part of our lives, such as vinegar, wine, sauerkraut, pickles, beer, green olives, soy sauce, buttermilk bread, cheese, and yoghurt, to name a few.
- Course description: The purpose of this semester of Microbiology is to familiarize the students with those concepts that are basic to viruses and prokaroyotic and eukaryotic cells.The M.Sc. Applied Microbiology programme conducted by Asian Institute of Public Health:Provides a holistic learning environment where students, teachers and facilitators drawn from various academic disciplines can enrich one another with their diverse domain expertise and experience
Provides mentorship and knowledge transfer from members of faculty who have rich experience in the field of microbiology
Learning activities will include reading and evaluation scientific papers, learning basic Microbiological techniques, imparts hands-on training by exposing students to clinical microbiological practical identifying unknown bacteria, answering questions in lecture and writing scientific papers.
Laboratory/Library Facilities: There is a well-equipped M.Sc. Practical Laboratory with Digital Weighing Balance, Laminar Air-flow, Compound Microscope with LED illumination, Bacteriological Incubator, Water bath, Distillation Unit, Autoclave, Digital pH Meter, Hot Air Oven, Bactec 9050, PCR, Deep freezer -20 degree, Deep freezer -70, Deep freezer -80, Gel Electrophoresis unit, Vortex Machine, Hot plate, centrifuge, UV- Transiluminator and other necessary facilities. A Library exists that holds text/reference books relevant to the course curriculum.
|Semester wise distribution of papers|
|Semester||Paper No.||paper||Full mark||Duration of Examination|
|Paper-I||Fundamentals of microbiology||50||3 hours|
|Paper-II||Microbial diversity||50||3 hours|
|Paper-III||Microbial physiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Genetics||50||3 hours|
|Paper-IV||Practical based on Paper I,II and III||100||6 hours|
|Paper-V||Agricultural microbiology and Plant Pathology||50||3 hours|
|Paper-VI||Environmental, Food and industrial microbiology|
|Paper-VII||Medical microbiology and Immunology||50||3 hours|
|Paper-VIII||Practical based on theory paper V,VI and VII||100||6 hours|
|Paper-IX||Biostatistics, Computer application and Instrumentation||50||3 hours|
|Paper-X||Microbial biotechnology: Fundamentals||50||3 hours|
|Paper-XI||Microbial biotechnology: Applications||50||3 hours|
|Paper-XII||Practical based on Paper IX,X and XI||100||6hours|
|The candidates shall choose one of the following elective courses|
|A. Agricultural Microbiology|
|B. Industrial Microbiology|
|C. Environmental Microbiology|
|D. Pharmaceuticals and Clinical Microbiology|
|E. Plant Pathology|
|Paper-XV: Seminar-cum-Practical 50marks|
|Paper-XVI: Project 100 marks|
Admission to M.Sc. Applied Microbiology program shall be based on criteria decided by the Management Committee of Asian Institute of Public Health. A student shall be eligible to apply for admission to Microbiology course if he/she has completed a 3 years bachelor’s degree in life science subjects from a recognized institution/university. The selection of the eligible candidates for admission to Microbiology program may be based on career marks & interview as deemed necessary by the Management Committee.
How to Apply
Selection is based on the academic credentials, personal interview and performance in the Common Entrance Test
For further queries please contact:
Telephone: 9337113960 / 7205074656 / 9938213237
Fee structure for M.Sc. Applied Microbiology course at Asian Institute of Public Health (AIPH) are as follows:
• One-time Admission Fee - Rs. 10,000 (Rupees Ten Thousand only)
• Tuition /Semester Fee - Rs. 25,000 (Rupees Twenty Five Thousand only)